Top tips for moving house
Top tips for moving house
Moving house regularly tops the list of the most stressful things to do. While uprooting yourself is never going to be the most relaxing thing in the world, the good news is that there are plenty of things you can do to make the experience a little more stress-free.
Two months before you move
It may seem like you still have plenty of time before you move, but it will come around quickly and the more you organise now, the less you have to worry about later.
With eight weeks to go, these are some of the things you should be thinking about:
- If you're going to need help moving your furniture, research removal companies and get something booked in now. This is a very popular service which can get booked up well in advance and you certainly don't want to find yourself unable to move your possessions.
- Start sorting through your belongings. Anything you don't need, throw away, give to friends and family or donate to charity. Try to only take the things you really want otherwise you're wasting money transporting it and it will just end up taking up valuable space in your new place.
- If you need to keep anything in self storage at any point during your move, calculate what size unit you will need, how long you will need it for and where the nearest facilities are.
One month before the move
- Purchase boxes, bubble wrap and any other storage supplies you might need.
- Start packing the less essential items because this will save you time closer to your moving date.
- If you're moving anything into self storage, do so now because it frees up space and means your home is less cluttered with boxes.
- If necessary, ensure that you have arranged temporary accommodation.
- Inform important contacts such as your bank of your change of address.
- Register with a new dentist and doctor if necessary.
- Organise your Internet, telephone and television supplier.
Two weeks before the move
- Arrange with the Post Office for any post to be redirected to your new home.
- Ensure there is space at your new property for the removal van to park.
One week before the move
- Clean while you're packing the final bits so it's not such a big job at the end.
- Contact your solicitor or estate agent to ensure that everything is on track for you to move on the arranged day.
A couple days before the move
- Empty the fridge and defrost the freezer.
- Call your removal company to confirm an estimated arrival time.
- Make sure that you have a box of essentials which is easy to access for your first few nights at the new property.
The day of the move
- Make it clear to the removals company what should and shouldn't be moved.
- Pick up your new keys and deliver the old keys to the new tenant/owner.
- Double check your old home to ensure that nothing has been left behind.
If you need to make use of self storage facilities at any stage during your move, please feel free to contact M Store and we will be more than happy to help.